Tuesday, May 16, 2023

A Nice Thing Happened Today


My hounds seemed very excited today about something under our shed. My wife thought it was a raccoon. It turns out it was a very handsome Siamese cat. I went out to feed it, took a picture of it, & posted it to Next Door. That turned out to be a good thing because within the hour I had received word from someone who claimed to be its human.

& she was! She came to the house & there was this wonderful moment where she talked to the cat hiding under the shed & the cat came to her. I fucking love that, I love proof that there's a connection. The cat didn't like being put into a carrier, but what cat does? It went home with its human.

The cat went missing two days ago, it lives a half mile away & crossed a very busy street & traversed nine blocks to make its way to our shed. I'm glad it did! Every missing cat poster I see makes me very sad.

The Siamese's name is Beau. This was also a poignant moment for me. Earlier this year we said goodbye to my cat Bolan, whom I often called Bo. The idea that I might rescue a cat called Beau (pronounced "Bo") stirred up in me all the feels. At least I rescued one cat called Bo this year. God damn it.

Beau is happily back with his humans & we get a win on the scoreboard that increasingly favors sadness & tragedy. & speaking of sadness & tragedy - thank you Next Door. You enable unhappy people, racists, & reactionaries, but you are good at reuniting people with their pets. Maybe you should have stopped at that?

No comments: