Monday, May 15, 2023

Rita Lee

(from her Wikipedia page)

It was a sadness to hear of the passing of Rita Lee about a week ago. As a strange coincidence, my wife was recently doing research in Edinburgh & one of her collaborators was a Brazilian who asked her, when she told him I did radio, if I knew who Rita Lee was. I guess he was in the room while we were talking on the phone. I said, "Sure, from Os Mutantes." He seemed pretty impressed.

My own experience with her music was with the Mutants plus her 1970s solo records. I didn't really pay much attention to her work in the 1980s, which was when she became a superstar & earned the title of "Brazil's Queen Of Rock." It's something I'll try to remedy in the future.

For now, I will pay tribute to her with the music I do know, & will play about an hour of her work solo, with Os Mutantes, & with Tutti Frutti, tonight on KBOO on my show Corporate Standardized Programming. It'll be a poor tribute but that appears to be the only sort of tributes I am able to give.

That's midnight to 3am Portland time on 90.7fm in town & online everywhere at kboo dot fm.

No comments: