Thursday, August 31, 2023

Whither Indiepop A To Z # 72?

(This is Pete. Beagles are the official dogs of indiepop.)

It was many years ago that I began this series, Indiepop A To Z. What is indiepop? Does it just mean "independent pop"? It certainly seems like that's what people think, but here's a good definition.

The idea for the series came from the band list at Twee Net. I was overly ambitious & irritatingly completist so I added bands that I felt that list weirdly excluded plus I thought it would be fun to also play bands that were influential to indiepop. This meant that over time the list got bigger & bigger. If I had stuck to the Twee Net list, I would be done now. But I would've also felt that I had neglected lots & lots of artists.

So here we are - the seventy-second installment & we're still at the letter R. Many of the previous installments are at the Self Help Radio web page. The best way to find them is to go to the "table of contents" & click on the letter I. Like this. One of these days I will put them all on a single page - I keep promising that! - but so far that has not happened. I kinda forget about the series except when I return to it roughly every four months.

Will I ever finish? I don't really know. The letter S will take some time. But for now, let's continue to enjoy the letter R from noon to 2pm today on Freeform Portland - 90.3+98.3fm in town & online everywhere at Freeform Portland dot Org. We'll travel all over the globe & hear some wonderful tunes. I promise.

No comments: