Friday, September 15, 2023

Self Help Radio 091423: Howard Gently Year One Continued

Yes, I'm reusing the terrible graphic. There aren't a lot of pictures of Howard Gently out there!

Also this should be called "Howard Gently Year One Concluded" as we did get through the first year of Howard Gently on Self Help Radio. The show is mainly bits from Self Help Radio that aired on WRFL in Lexington, Kentucky, in the period between July 2014 & March 2015. My dear friend Russell improvised all of it & it came so easy to us because we made cassette tapes when we were kids doing this very thing. There's almost certainly a part of me that doesn't really think I'm on the radio - just pretending.

In-between segments, I play songs from the shows that I thought Russ would approve us. & I started the show with one of his original compositions. Later in the year I'll start Howard Gently Year Two. I miss him so but am so grateful I have so many recordings of him being funny. He really was the funniest person I ever knew.

Show at the Self Help Radio website. Username SHR password selfhelp required. Tracklist below.

Howard Gently Year One Continued
"Because She's Beautiful" Russell Miles _Six Tunes By "Russ"_

"Up The Hill Backwards" David Bowie _Scary Monsters_
Howard Gently on the theme "Backwards"
"The House Of The Rising Sun" Nina Simone _Nina Simone Sings The Blues_
Howard Gently on the theme "Sunrise"
"Watch Out For The Normal People" The Boomtown Rats _A Tonic For The Troops_
Howard Gently on the theme "Normal"

"Panic" The Smiths _Louder Than Bombs_
Howard Gently announces his new magazine
"Heaven" Talking Heads _The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads_
Howard Gently on the theme "Heaven"
"My Daddy Is A Mummy" Richard Thompson _The Life & Music Of Richard Thompson_
Howard Gently on the theme "Mummies"

"Seasons In The Sun" Black Box Recorder _The Worst Of Black Box Recorder_
Howard Gently on the theme "Seasons"
Howard Gently on the Christmas holidays
"Party Girl" Elvis Costello & The Attractions _Armed Forces_
Howard Gently calls the show 1/16/15

"Jerkin' Back 'N' Forth" Devo _New Traditionalists_
Howard Gently calls the show 1/30/15
"Razor Edge" Ranee & Raj _Don't Tell Me I Must Go_
Howard Gently calls the show 2/20/15

Howard Gently calls the show 3/6/15

No comments: