Thursday, September 14, 2023

Whither Howard Gently Year One Continued?


It made my friend Russell so happy when I found that picture of that stranger who became Howard Gently. I added the pince-nez glasses & the Hawaiian shirt & beach background. Maybe even the moustache? I've probably mentioned this before. Anyway. It's nice to have a memory of making someone for whom I cared so very much so happy.

Words cannot express how grateful I am he spent so much time being my friend, talking to me, & of course being my spiritual mentor on Self Help Radio. Sitting with him improvising his segments was always one of the joys of my week. We did it on Skype. It often lasted more than ten minutes. It was difficult but exciting to edit them down to five. I would cut as much of my part as possible to maximize the Gently.

We started in 2014, & today on Self Help Radio, I'll finish the bits he did that year. You can listen to the previous installment here. Like on that show, I'll preface each bit with a song from the original show - & all these aired when I was on WRFL in Lexington - & I am picking a song from the show that I hope Russell would approve of.

Listen for lots of Howard Gently today from noon to 2pm on 90.3+98.3fm & online at freeform portland dot org. He may well make you a believer.

No comments: