Thursday, September 28, 2023

Whither Corridors & Hallways?

(image from here)

All right. Let's get this out of the way. This is a rare "double theme" for Self Help Radio not necessarily because hallways & corridors can be (although aren't) synonyms, but because - & I know you suspected this - I couldn't find enough songs about one or the other so I had to combine the two. I just want you to know that there are plenty of songs about hallways & plenty of songs about corridors to fill a show each. I just didn't like enough songs of either kind to fill two hours of the show I wanted to do. I hope you understand.

The idea for this show came from a song that I won't play on the show. In the David Bowie song "Teenage Wildlife" (I recently listened to Scary Monsters for the millionth time) he has a part where he sings,

You'll take me aside, and say
"Well, David, what shall I do? They wait for me in the hallway"
I'll say "Don't ask me, I don't know any hallways"

In addition to noting David Bowie being massively unhelpful to a sad teenager, I also was intrigued by the word "hallway." It led me to trying to find songs about hallways. When there weren't enough of them, I also sought out songs about corridors. & that's where this theme came from.

Why won't I play the Bowie song? It's seven minutes long & that's really the only mention of hallways. It's a great tune but not really part of the theme.

Hey! The show is on today, Thursday the 28th, from noon to 2pm on Freeform Portland. You can listen at 90.3+98.3fm in town & online everywhere at Freeform Portland dot org.

No comments: