Tuesday, January 23, 2024

I Just Adore A Courthouse View


A year ago today I was called to jury duty. Jury duty! It was a case of a family suing three corporations for the shit corporations do - a civil suit. I remember the plaintiff's lawyers telling the jury pool they should speak up because "people who don't talk get chosen for jury duty." & sure enough the folks who didn't say a word got chosen. Maybe they wanted to?

As for me, after sitting through one day & realizing that I could not nor did not want to sit & listen for two weeks I self-sabotaged, quoting my wife who told me the day before that they shouldn't chose me because "you hate corporations!" The defendant's lawyer repeated that line to me later. I still wasn't entirely sure I'd not be chosen. When they called the names of who had to stay, I froze as they passed my number.

My number! I was juror 79! I still remember that. How happy I was to not hear my number called.

My wife was called for jury duty just six months later & the morning of, they said they didn't need anyone. How fucking lucky is that?

No comments: