Thursday, January 25, 2024

Whither Suitcases?


Do you believe in magic? Because I don't. Not really. It has never however stopped me from attempting to cast spells. By spells I mean throwing out wild hope into the world. The main way that I know how is by doing it on the radio.

You see, I haven't traveled much since I moved to Oregon. Part of the reason for that, of course, was the pandemic. I have returned to Texas for a memorial & a funeral, but traveling to where one's family is is not really the kind of traveling I am wanting to do.

The wife & I had plans to visit Europe this year but they have been waylaid by our new puppy, who has separation anxiety that we need to deal with first. It may take a while.

A radio show about suitcases can be seen as an unbeliever's attempt to cast a spell into the decidedly unmagical world which would, if it worked, clear away all the barriers for travel from me. If one needs to believe that a spell will work for it to work, then it won't work. But there are so many things I don't really believe that I am fine pretending to believe. Sometimes it's fun. I'd love to think of my radio shows as a kind of book of incantations. Even if they're all utterly powerless.

It will be a long spell, two hours long, with lots of music & talk. I'll commence it at noon tomorrow on 90.3+98.3fm in Portland & online at Freeform Portland dot org. If you simply approach it as a radio show about suitcases with silly interviews & with lots of songs about suitcases, that's fine too.

No comments: