Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Preface To Dandelions: Wishes


Though I have taken many more pictures of flowers in Portland than anywhere else - people here love their gardens - I snapped that little feller up there was in Lexington, Kentucky.

As a child, I wanted so badly to believe in things like magic, luck, & wishes, that I thought - my mother probably told me - that a single dandelion alone like that had more potency than one plucked from a plentiful field.

One thing that I knew was that you had to scatter all the seeds - like you had to blow out all the candles on the cake to get your birthday wish. You didn't get a second chance. & what a waste when I didn't fill my lungs properly! It was almost a physical pain to think I'd lost a wish.

& the wishes! I worried about the quality of my wishes! Why wish for a specific toy when you might wish for a toy store? Why wish for a puppy when you could wish for all the puppies? Perhaps my greed is why my wishes never came true. Or maybe wishes aren't real.

No, that's nonsensical. I just needed more specifics about how wishes work. & of course I will need more dandelions.

No comments: