Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Preface To Crushes: Do You Even Celebrate Valentine's Day?

I guess at some level Valentine's Day is icky. I mean, it has a grand old tradition - it happens on nearly the same date as the Lupercalia, much like Christmas & Easter find themselves on pagan dates, too. But since the mid-1950's, when basically everything in America became commodified, it's been one in another of commercial obligations - there are probably relationships out there that are ruined when a partner forgets Valentine's Day. Human beings love their arbitrary milestones.

I kinda miss being alone on Valentine's Day. It was an excuse to focus unhappiness & bitterness against not only crass Hallmarkism but also embarrassing public displays of affection & fidelity. Over on the Usenet group alt.angst, we used to call it Great Big Blowing Void day, or GBBV Day for short. Other people tediously shorten the date to its initials, VD, to show their dislike for it. (I wonder, did they give people penicillin as gifts? That would be funny.) It's an easy holiday to be negative about. I think I dislike both the negative reactions & the positive reactions to Valentine's Day.

Alas, I've been in a relationship for like six years now, so I won't be alone, although we don't really celebrate VD or GBBV Day or even Valentine's Day. We don't really celebrate Christmas either, now that I think about it. I should note, I say WE, because I do do a radio show with Christmas songs, & for a few years now, I have done shows about Valentine's Day. This year, for example, I'll focus on crushes. An aspect of relationships - or on the beginnings of relationships - or the hope for a relationship.

Why crushes? You should find out tomorrow.

I almost forgot! The "Song Of The Day"!

I've been enjoying the Rhino box set released last year called Rockin' Bones: 1950s Punk & Rockabilly, especially the more obscure stuff. I picked out this song by native Texan Tom Tall since it approximates some of the problems a deejay can have, either while spinning or while trying to impress someone you want to love on. It's called Stack-A-Records, & clicking on the name there will let you listen to the mp3. Listen now, since I'll remove it February 20, 2007. Enjoy.

No comments: