Sunday, November 14, 2010

Whither Destroy?

Also, why not "Whither Destruction"? That sounds better.

Whether it's destroying you enjoy or just plain destruction, boy is Self Help Radio the show for you!

I mean, Evelyn Waugh might have said, "Art is the symbol of the two noblest human efforts: to construct & to refrain from destruction" (& I'm pretty sure he did) (it's true! his name was Evelyn & he was a dude!) (but I think to keep from being beaten up he pronounced it "eve-a-lynn" not "ev-a-lyn") but then Pablo Picasso said, "Every act of creation is first an act of destruction" & then IT WAS ON.

I actually don't know if the two of them even knew each other, although Picasso was alive the entire time Waugh was. Though Waugh was only alive a fraction of the life of Picasso. How much? Waugh lived 62 years, Picasso 91 (!) years. That means that Waugh lived about 7/10ths the amount of life Picasso did. In years. He might have lived more in, say, alcohol, but I really doubt it.

Anyway, the Marquis De Sade, who is often called in to break ties like this, said, "Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates." & De Sade took a lot of men out on dates, so he knew something about mandates.

That's a horrible joke, but I was destroying your perception of my ability to tell a joke & it worked!

Expect Self Help Radio to be like that this week!

No comments: