Thursday, November 01, 2012

Is It Time To Start Recommending Records?

Someone asked me the other day why, since I have a blog for my radio show, I don't do what other people do who have one of those, which is talk about/review records here.  After all, I play new music on my show & I'm not terribly genre specific, so doubtless I listen to a lot of music - why not hype it up on this website?

The answer is in two parts.  One, I'm not a writer & even though I "review" records for WRFL, I'm not writing anything that I expect to publish.  Honestly, I'm surprised when my scribblings make any sense.

Two, I kind of think that the music I play on my is the best way to tell you what I like.  There are artists - a lot of them - which you'll never hear on Self Help Radio, & that's because I don't think they're any good.  It's sometimes heartbreaking to tell that to someone who suggests a song for one of my themes, but it's true - I don't have to play music I don't like, so I don't.

I'm not above saying what's making me happy at the moment, though, so perhaps I'll do that on Thursdays for a little while.  Maybe over time I'll be comfortable enough to write something that will resemble a review or at least some discussion of why I like what I like.

So today I recommend the new album by Talk Normal, which is called "Sunshine."  I think it's a record with super powers.  If you know how to get them to Lexington, that would be amazing.  The record looks like this:

I like it a lot.  Might you?

No comments: