Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tumblr Addiction

Hi, my name is Gary, & I spend way too much time jumping from Tumblr blog to Tumblr blog laughing at nonsense.

According to Wikipedia, Tumblr was developed starting in 2006 & now hosts like 150 million blogs.  I have this blog, on competitor Blogger, but I also have a Tumblr blog, which I started in January of 2010.  I mainly featured links to Youtube videos of musicians I like (& some of the videos don't exist any more), & the occasional ridiculous or pretty picture.  I ignored it for most of last year, even though it takes no time to update it, but I'm trying to be better now.

When I started it, I had no real idea what made it different from Blogger.  It's because I very rarely "follow" blogs & even then I don't "reblog."  I understand that's how folks connect with one another using Tumblr, I just don't really do it.

What I do is this: I find a Tumblr blog, skim through it, find something funny, & then looked where it has been "reblogged" from.  Then I visit that blog, skim through it, find something funny, etc.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.

The animated gifs are the best.  I love that people take time to make them.  There were animated gifs from the Golden Globes while the Golden Globes were still on the air.  That's pretty amazing.  I like to think people make the majority of them at work on someone else's dime.

In any event, it's a bit of a time waster for me.  I need to restrain myself.  But there's this Tumblr blog making fun of twelve-step programs!  Oh no!

No comments: