Thursday, January 16, 2014

Whither A Smelly Show?

I feel weird writing this because I actually have finished the show.  I think the end product is tolerable.  It's not all that great, actually.  But I did record it live, & only made a couple of edits to my airbreaks.  But they were to try to make it funny.

These are the things that I've never liked about radio that I miss: underwriting, legal IDs, station promos.  Inevitably I feel like they take precious time away from the music I want to play or the dumb things I want to say.  But they do give structure to the show - if you have to play an underwriting grant at a quarter past the hour, you learn (as a deejay) to make sure you don't play a super-long track or you learn to not schedule an airbreak around it.  (By the way, the FCC would be fine if you played a super-long track.  You're not supposed to let underwriting interrupt regularly schedule programming.  But it's always felt weird to me, since it's a legal agreement the station has entered into with the donor business.)  For my new shows, I'll have fake underwriting & probably-not-funny skits I've made myself to help break up the tedium.  I understand I am only doing them, though, because I am used to all the required station stuff from my recent experience.

Well, also, I'm trying to be funny.

Anyway, I did the show today & it'll be up on the website in about twelve hours.  It's somewhat important to me that I make a new show available at the same time every week, so I will stick to that schedule.  I hope someone downloads & listens to it, & it would be great for some feedback.

By the way, "you suck!" is not terribly constructive.  Although that has never stopped my mother from saying it to me every day since third grade.

As I mention in one of the airbreaks you can hear tomorrow - to answer the usually rhetorical question that headlines the blog-before-the-show: I have three beagles & three cats.  I know a thing or two about smelly.  Why not share my experience with an easy-to-offend world?

No comments: