Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Preface To One Way: No, I'm NOT Running Out Of Themes!

Why would you think that?  Is it because of that Bob Dylan show?  He would never do a show with a theme like "one way"!  He picked general themes like "cars" or "homes" or "family" or "Bob Dylan"!  Why can't Self Help Radio be like that?  Why not do a show about something that's tangible, that's a thing, that makes some kind of sense, that there are songs that we will know about & you will have to play?

Seriously, dude.  "One Way"?  All I can think about is that Blondie song.  That's it.

What just happened?  I started out with one voice & ended up with another.  I think I liked the complainer's voice better than my own explainer voice.  Anyway, it doesn't matter - no one really cares what theme I pick & very rarely is anyone excited by a theme.  Which is cool - I don't mind the anonymity.

One thing that does happen from time-to-time is that a person will call & say, "I hear you're looking for songs about [today's theme]."  I am happy when someone makes suggestions or requests a song, but it's weird to think that they'd be listening to a radio show & think, "That deejay is doing a show about [whatever subject], but of course they wouldn't have brought enough music about [whatever subject] to fill their allotted two hours, but, luckily, hey!  Me to the rescue!"

I'm never insulted or anything, but I wonder if that's happened enough to the average RFL listener that they've heard a deejay say, "I wanted to do a show about [something], but I don't have enough songs!"

It's possible.  It's just not something I'd ever do!

No comments: