Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Comic Book Nerd Television Show Round-Up

No one cares, but I should mention that my dumb ratings for dumb comic book television shows if not for you but for me why the hell not?

"Gotham" is not terribly interesting at this point.  I wish someone like Ed Brubaker were writing it.  It seems to suffer from what I call "episoditis," a disease that afflicts television shows that want to stay on the air as long as possible.  The show treads water as long as it can, waiting for milestones or (more likely) ratings weeks to do interesting things.  It's the reason cable is better than network television.  Apparently there'll be a full season of the show, but it needs to find some kind of focus or else no one will give a shit.  Despite being extremely fertile ground for storytelling.

Tonight's "Agents Of SHIELD" was fun but I am still not interested much in the show.  Clark Gregg is great as Coulson but I often find his wisecracking, in the context of the show, utterly awkward & baffling.  But I stick with it despite, seriously, being bored with most of what's going down because, & I can't stress this enough, I watched all ten seasons of Smallville
.  So if I finally give up on this show in a couple of years, no skin off my back.  I wish it were better.  But I forget it, most of the time, right after I've seen it.
"The Flash" is a lot of fun, & the machinations of Professor Zoom are enough to keep me at the edge of my seat.  It's only two episodes in, so I reserve the right to change my opinion later, but I've enjoyed the two episodes I've seen.  I just hope they don't kill the whole "he's new at this!" to death.  Barry Allen is a smart guy.  He'll learn fast.  Get it?  "Fast"?  Why aren't I writing this show?

"Arrow" was the best comic book show I've watched in a long time the last two seasons.  Ask me in December how I'm feeling.  I'm still a little heartbroken at the death of Caity Lotz's character.  Let's hope she gets a superhero show all her own.  Oh my!  Caity Lotz as Wonder Woman?  Did I say that out loud?

No comments: