Wednesday, November 01, 2017

Whither One Day?

(Image from here.)

Now that all the Halloween stuff is over - did you notice there's a new Self Help Radio this week?  That I haven't been talking about at all?  Because it was Halloween week?  Well, there is!

When I started this particular recurring segment of the blog, "Whither [the week's theme]?", I envisioned a deep discussion about what that week's particular topic was.  Very quickly I realized that sometimes the reason for a show is dumb & banal.  In fact, there are probably only a small range of reasons, from someone suggesting the theme to something topical related to the date (as the next month will show - I'll be doing my favorites of the year & my Christmas show in December).

A very common reason for the show is just that I might be listening to a lot of songs & wow, I realize that there are similarities.  This happened for the "one day" show.  It's a coincidence, of course - I'm sure there are always similarities & I just never notice them.  But when I do notice them, I have to decide whether it'd made a good show or not.  "One Day" did that one day a few months ago.  & now it's a radio show.

Not terribly interesting, I know, but I kinda like these "Whither...?" posts.  One day maybe I'll have a fascinating story, possibly related to an adventure, where something extraordinary birthed a radio program.  For now, though, the reasons are mostly boring.

It might still be a good show though!  You can listen tonight from 9-11pm eastern on 93.9 fm WLXU in Lexington & online at Lexington Community Radio's website.  Lots of music (including a song written for the show!), silly interviews, & me struggling to say something about the theme.  In other words: the regular thing.

No comments: