Thursday, August 09, 2018

Whither Cindy's Show?

(Image from here.)

Now, I suppose at this point you're thinking, "Who is this Cindy person & what is she to Gary that he's doing an entire show about her?"  Also: "When his wife finds out, he's gonna get it!"

Oh, relax.  I did a show a couple of weeks ago about mail carriers & I've never worked for the Post Office.  As I explained yesterday, I don't really have any Cindys in my life.  Doesn't mean I can't do a show about people named Cindy.

But it does mean that doing a show about people named Cindy is kinda weird, if you don't know any Cindys, right?  To which I respond, "Have you heard Self Help Radio before?"  Earlier this summer I did a show about glitter.  Next week the show is about neon.  There's neither really rhyme nor reason when I comes to this show.

In fact, that's a comment that was shared with me early on.  At KOOP, we had peer reviews, & another programmer said, "I just don't know why he explores these arbitrary topics."  I suppose it would have made her more comfortable if my show conformed to events that happened on the date of the show, like holidays or "National Pull Your Own Tooth Day."  But that never seemed much fun to me - when would subjects like glitter or neon come up?  Not to mention Cindy?

Okay, there's a Saint Cynthia (Cinthia), who could probably be called Saint Cindy if you have a hip, young priest who's trying to get in with the cool priests.   & her feast day is February 8.  So that wouldn't be arbitrary & it would please the programmer above as not being inexplicable.  But to her, I would ask, "Have you heard Self Help Radio before?"

As usual, I noticed I was listening to a bunch of songs about someone named Cindy.  I thought it might be a fun show.  After a few weeks I figured I had enough songs.  I thought I might meet a Cindy before the show, but I only came close: a neighbor who walks his dog that we see regularly (I don't know his name, but his sweet hound's name is Blue), he mentioned just yesterday that his girlfriend's name is Cindy.  & as I was driving my wife to the airport I noticed a place in town very close to where I live called Cindy's Hair Design which has apparently been in existence for decades but which has virtually no online presence.  I shoulda took a picture.

If you know a Cindy, tell her there'll be a radio show about her or people with her name tomorrow at noon on Self Help Radio's website.  It may turn out there are more Cindys than even I know about.

No comments: