Sunday, April 07, 2024

Preface To Can't Wait: Oh, I Can Wait


The expression "can't wait" - I guess it's an idiom - according to the Collins Dictionary means - well they put it in a sentence - "If you say that you can't wait to do something or can hardly wait to do it, you are emphasizing that you are very excited about it & eager to do it."

As I thought about writing this, I wondered what there was that I can't wait for. At the moment my wife is out of the country, so I think I can't wait for her to get back. But since she's usually here, I don't often feel that way. I don't think I am often in a situation where I can't wait for something.

You might ask, "Don't you get excited about radio shows?" I do, I get nervous even, but I know they're in my future & I know there's a bit of work that is required for them, so I can wait because I need the time.

Is this something that happens when one gets older? One loses the magic of anticipation? As I kid I couldn't wait for some classes to end, for some movies to come out, for summer to come, for the weekend to come so I didn't have to go to school or wake up early. Except for situations like my wife being away like she is now, I honestly don't think there's anything I can't wait for. I can wait.

Waiting is something that one grows used to, really. Maybe not comfortable with, nor happy with. But it's built in to so many experiences that over time one simply accepts that there's waiting involved.

Wow that's depressing. I won't talk about this during the show. Yikes.

No comments: