Monday, April 08, 2024

Whither Can't Wait?


(One of my favorite Maakies strips - scanned from a book.)

It bears reminding that I've been doing this dumb radio show for over twenty years now. While I don't have an actual count, I think it's safe to say I explore maybe forty or so new themes a year. That means I've explored at least 800 different themes. Probably more. But let's be conservative.

At some point I realized I might get a little bored if the themes I chose were all nouns - trains, weather, whiskey, kisses. Not that I would always prefer difficult or obscure themes - but that I might not want to limit myself in that way. & at some point, I began to have themes that were phrases. Phrases like "can't wait."

You might think this was a conscious thing, a way to open up the possibilities for the show but not really. It just sorta happened. I don't know when. But it seems like it was early on.

A few weeks ago I was at a place waiting to pick up some food & there was a person outside who was on the phone - I assume they were on the phone, you know, nowadays folks don't hold the phone to their head, they just talk so the person might have been hallucinating or something - but the person kept responding to the caller (or the voice only they could hear) "Can't wait!" They must've said "can't wait" a dozen times. When I came home, I found myself responding to things my wife said with, "Can't wait!" She did not seem to notice that was a weird way to comment in conversation.

& then it became an idea for a radio show. Which will become an actual radio show tonight.

Midnight to 2am on 90.7fm KBOO here in Portland, kboo.fm everywhere.

No comments: