Thursday, May 23, 2019

Whither Paranoia?

(I searched for "Steve Ditko" + "paranoia" & was not disappointed.  Image from here.)

Oh yeah, I need to get back into the habit of telling you why I'm covering a particular theme this week.  It was weird not doing so the past few weeks.  I found myself explaining to my cats why I was having this or that for lunch & they thought I was going insane.  Or maybe they didn't.  They're not so open with their feelings.  Sometimes I think they despise me.

Or am I being paranoid?  Is that a question you ask yourself every once in a while?  As a master of second-guessing (with a minor in third-guessing), it's not uncommon for me to imagine there are things about which I am unaware that will screw up or otherwise waylay my plans or desires.  For example.  Here's an example.

Here in Portland, there's a radio station I'd like to volunteer with.  The web site asks that you send a "resume" & let them know what you're interested in helping out with at the station.  I did so, I mentioned all the work I've done at other stations & included a link to the Self Help Radio website.  & since then, nothing.  Once I arrived in Portland, I sent another email as a kind of reminder, but I didn't want to be pushy.  No response.  A few days later I called & asked if there were an office I could visit to say hello.  The person on the phone took my number but never called.

It's natural for me to feel like I've been rejected, that the folks at the station took the time to read the email & said, "Nope, let's not have this guy at our station."  Is that paranoid?  Is it more likely that it's a small radio station with limited staff who are busy broadcasting & are not making my request a priority?  I don't know.  At this point I'm a little nervous about reaching out again, at the risk of being seen as a bother.

It's a cool station.  I think Self Help Radio would fit in.  There are other options for radio in Portland - which I am actively seeking out - but there's something about this station - especially since they seem to be playing hard-to-get - that makes me want to get involved more.

There's a better paranoid story that I am saving for the show - which happens at noon tomorrow over at the lonesome Self Help Radio website.  That's noon Pacific time, by the way.  I have no idea how early or late it is where you are!

No comments: