Sunday, January 22, 2017

Please No More 1981 Stories

But wait, I have one last one.  I remembered this while talking to my wife on the dog walk today.  She was probably not listening, as she is a sensible woman.

My friend Gus, at whose house my little brother & I passed most of our summer days in 1981, was the first person I met whose family owned a microwave oven.  I can't tell you much about it, but if I google "1981 microwave," this is the image that comes up:

(I found the image here.)

Not as gigantic as I might have imagined - I suppose I thought microwaves were like televisions & radios, their early models being enormous - but truly a wonder.  Gus would make us nachos - meaning he melted cheese on tortilla chips - it was something I couldn't have imagined one could do at home.  (& we must've eaten too many of them - at some point he told us sheepishly his mom wouldn't allow him to make nachos any more.)

But here's the memory I wanted to tell: because I was such a comic book nerd, & because in every Marvel comic, the heroes get their powers from radiation, I toyed with the idea of turning the microwave on, opening the door, & bathing myself in the mysterious heat rays within.  I never did it, of course.  For two reasons: one, I was afraid; & two, microwaves, of course, turn off when you open the door.  It's a standard safety feature.

What was I afraid of?  Well, getting burned, of course.  Plus, Marvel comics also had stories about people trying to replicate the ways that superheroes got their powers & being deformed - or worse, turned evil! - by the attempt.

Anyway, that's dumb, funny memory from 1981, my last I hope.  What a dumb kid I was.  Thirteen years old!  & still daydreaming about super powers.

No comments: