Monday, April 05, 2021

Whither Sunflower?


This week's Self Help Radio celebrates the sunflower.  Perhaps only second to the rose as the most recognizable of flowers.  & in my native Texas, there would be a time - perhaps after mid-summer but certainly before what passes for fall - when sunflowers would spring up everywhere.  But even in Portland, where sun is not nearly as common in poor, desertifying Texas, sunflowers crowd into gardens as the summer turns to autumn.  They are striking.

& when you find out that young sunflowers turn to follow the sun?  That's some true nature magic right there.  It makes sense that it's a flower that has found its way into song - & of course you'll hear lots of sunflower songs tonight, should you listen.

But why a show about sunflowers?  I noticed I took a lot of pictures of sunflowers - like the one above - last fall.  & I thought, since it was fresh on my mind, I should do a show about sunflowers.  & so I shall!

Self Help Radio's Sunflower show happens tonight (or Tuesday morning) from midnight to 3am on 90.7 fm KBOO Portland, online at kboo.fm.  It'll be the regular amount of good tunes & ridiculousness.  But there will also be pretty flowers & delicious seeds!

No comments: