Sunday, January 30, 2022

Howard Hesseman, RIP

It would be incredibly dishonest for me as someone who spends as much time as I do on the radio to not want to place some of the blame on the great Howard Hesseman & his portrayal of Dr. Johnny Fever on WKRP In Cincinatti.  I was an avid listener to the radio, not really caring much about the personalities thereon - it wasn't until I first heard community radio that I realized that a lot of the commercial radio voices were cookie cutter & inauthentic - but Hesseman's Johnny Fever made it look like so much fun.

& you know what - he was right!  It's the most fun thing I've ever done.

So thank you, Howard Hesseman, for being perfect & funny in that role - & of course the many other things you did as well.  You may be gone but you're not leaving behind dead air.  Your inspiration sparked an untold number of people to want to play on the radio, too.

(Sorry, I don't remember where I found that photo!)

No comments: