Saturday, March 19, 2022

Bo Live


This is a terrible picture taken from quite far away at a Bo Burnham concert I attended in Atlanta on this day in 2015.  I had become familiar with him when I was reviewing material for WRFL & we got a digital copy of his album, What., which would've been in December of 2013.

We didn't normally get comedy records, & I was very baffled by the first track, which is nearly ten minutes long, & which is mostly pantomime (not great for an audio medium).  But I was intrigued by it - & was glad to see the actual show on Youtube not long after.  That started me on the Bo Burnham journey - which led to this show, in which I was old enough to be the father of about 95% of the attendees.

Atlanta was a bit of a schlep from Lexington, Kentucky, where we lived, but we would often have to travel outside the city to see shows - usually Cincinnati or Louisville, but we went to Columbus & Nashville & even St. Louis if a band or comedian only came that close to us.

We don't have that problem in Portland!  Lots of shows come here - of course now I just have to feel comfortable to go to see them.  Which I am probably not.

Remind me to tell you how I fucked up seeing him on his next tour, which would be his last for a while - & that story is the subject of a song he did on his extraordinary Netflix show from last year.

No comments: