Saturday, December 01, 2012

Preface To Worry: It Takes A Worried Person

Thirteen years ago - it was another century - I happened into a men's room in an unfamiliar building at the University of Texas at Austin.  I was walking across campus &, you know, had to use the facilities, like you do, & wandered into the nearest building.

It was a nice old restroom, dating - like the building - from the early 1960s.  The building was mostly deserted - it was afternoon, it was summer, there were no classes - so I had the place to myself, which is how I prefer it anyway.

I used to carry a notebook with me to write stuff down, thoughts & ideas, impressions, even (god help me) poetry & prose.  But I wasn't going to be composing on the crapper - I just needed to "do my business" & get out of there.

I am glad I had the notebook, though, because there was a sort-of haiku on the wall, & commentary, which delighted me so that I had to write it down.

Someone wrote:

"No matter how beautiful she is
 Someone, somewhere
 Is sick of her shit."

Underneath, a different person wrote:

"We should have such worries, you and i."

That building - & therefore that little bit of bathroom poesy - no longer exists.  There's another building in its place, & I remember thinking about the graffiti when I watched workers tear the building down a few years later.

Over time workers built something new there, & I walked past it often as I walked around campus, but for the life of me I can't think of what that new edifice looks like.

But I can see the scrawled words of wisdom - & the pithy response - on the back of a men's room's stall's door as clear as day.

No comments: