Sunday, November 25, 2012

Whither Magda's Birthday 2012?

Let's get the important stuff out of the way: there is a woman named Magda, whom I married (although it might be more appropriate to say she allowed me to marry her) & with whom I fell madly in love with over a decade ago.  Such is my clumsy attempt at showing my love to her that I do a birthday show for her every year.  I play songs about birthdays.  If I played songs about her, I might get in a little trouble.  I play it safe by celebrating all birthdays by virtue of the fact that it's the birthday of the love of my life.

That's all well & good. Here's what I want to say: it's getting harder & harder to find good birthday songs.

I'm serious.

Well, I hear someone who doesn't know me very well say, why not just play the best birthday songs every year?

I know that's the modus operandi of your average radio show.  Tune in on Halloween, they play "Monster Mash."  Most radio listeners want to hear things they find familiar, which is why there's a lot of money in classic rock & "jammin' oldies."

I believe that one of the main reasons that not too many people listen to my show is because I don't play the same stuff over & over.  That used to bother me.  It doesn't really any more.  Without listeners, I am free to play what I like.  & what I like is not to play the same stuff over & over.

If that's the case, & if I am to continue to celebrate my love's birthday every year with wonderful birthday songs, can I please ask the musicians of the world: can you make more & better birthday songs in 2013?  If every band I loved just made one really great birthday song, I'd be set through 2020.  & let's be honest - by 2020, she's probably going to realize she made a mistake by marrying me & I can celebrate the divorce date with songs about broken hearts.

There's a lot of those.

Hey!  Come celebrate Magda's birthday with me tomorrow morning from 7 to 9am on 88.1 fm WRFL in Lexington &/or online at WRFL.fm!

I'll archive it as a birthday present for her - & you! - at the Self Help Radio website before her birthday.  Promise!

No comments: