Thursday, December 12, 2013

Preface To Gary's Favorite's 2013: Other People Know Better

I can only conclude, after a short sampling of "best of" lists, that I am really almost completely out of touch with what people think is "good."  Did I say "people"?  I meant "critics."

The Rolling Stone list actually has two or three records I liked (out of maybe six I actually listened to), but - this is the bizarre thing - they include classic-rock-types (like Paul McCartney & David Bowie) as well as hip hop & country & pop.  Is it me or should these not even be in competition?  Are there radio stations (besides non-commercial ones) who'll play Keith Urban & Nine Inch Nails back-to-back?  You get the impression they're trying to appeal to a wider audience somehow…

The Bowie record, which is on their list, isn't bad; it's just dull.  Bowie fans want to like it, which probably also explains the Paul McCartney placement.  Vampire Weekend's new one is number one on the Rolling Stone list, which is weird, because everyone at RFL who played claimed to hate it.  My feeling is, it'll be forgotten in several years - like, I'm afraid, most of the things of this list.  Right now, though, I get the impression they're there because they made some important people a lot of money.

NPR's list forgoes the "best of" (they got that from me) & also includes electronica & jazz.  The question again is: why not have different lists?  Surely there's someone out there who thinks a particular metal CD is better than something like Blood Orange!  Why make those dudes (& you know they're all dudes) feel even more excluded than they already feel?

Pitchfork says "best" but the title is actually "highest-rated."  Does anyone read Pitchfork anymore?  Since when?

Spin has a lot more hip hop than the others.  Is that now who buys Spin?  White guys who like hip hop?

It's not strange to me that nothing I like makes the top 25 or whatever any more.  I have never had my finger on the pulse of what people like.  Well, maybe when I listened to commercial radio, some time before 1989 or so.  Even then, I was liking bands that now seem popular - Cure, Smiths, etc. - but then were "weird" or "obscure."  The first time I played the Smiths in a car with one of my classic-rock-raised brothers, he thought it was a joke.  Like something off of Dr. Demento.

All of which means nothing - opinion is opinion.  If you like to have your opinions backed up by magazines & websites, then you can see if they agree with you.  But the term "best" - it doesn't make any sense this early on.  My own opinion is that a lot of these records will, in a decade or so, be completely forgotten.

No comments: