Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Whither A Self Help Radio Christmas 2015?

(I found this image - with helpful safety tips - here.)

My mother, who is German, tells me that, when she was a child, in pre-World War II Germany, they would put candles on the Christmas tree.  Even though I was a child, my first thought was "Holy shit! Wouldn't the tree catch fire & burn the whole fucking house down?!"  & I was very happy that, though the electric lights on our tree got a little warm, they weren't a freakin' open flame.

My wife, who has Polish parents, tells me she heard the same thing from them.  What they told her - & what my mother wouldn't, because the past is pretty rosy in her hindsight twenty-twenty - is that, yes, there were fires on the tree.  All the time.  All the time!  It was a thing that happened, because, you know, they were putting candles on a flammable object.  Of course there were fires!

Having said that, I think I would enjoy watching a Christmas tree burn.  Not in a house, with presents under it - that would be sad!  I'm not a psychopath.  But I can't stop looking at that image up there.  I like fires, I'm human.  One of our neighbors keeps promising to invite us to a bonfire.  I wonder when that's going to happen?

None of this has anything to do with this week's show, with is full of Christmas music both traditional & odd, both reverent & the opposite, but hopefully nice & novel & different than the canned stuff you hear in all the places you go this time of year.  I don't want to do the same sort of Christmas show everyone else does.  But perhaps it's my vanity saying that - I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not all that special, you know.

The show is on here in unseasonably warm Lexington from 4-6pm on 88.1 fm (that's WRFL) & all over the unseasonably warm Christmas world on wrfl dot fm.  I hope you can tune in, but in case you can't, I'll archive it on the show's website in time for Christmas!

Ho ho ho!

No comments: