Saturday, May 07, 2016

Cradle To Grave, Episode Twenty-Two

This is a post-mortem.

Normally I post a recording of the radio show I do on Fridays, Cradle To Grave, on the Self Help Radio website on Saturdays.  I don't expect anyone will listen, but it's part of my ritual.  I put SHR up on Wednesdays, CTG on Saturdays.

But there's no recording of the show on the website right now.  That's because I only did half the show.  If you listened, you'd know why.

When I do my radio shows, I usually bring up CDs.  I have stuff on vinyl, but I usually digitize it before I bring it up.  What that means is that some of the CDs I have are home-burned.  I buy mp3s, I download stuff, etc.  & you know what?  Some CD players don't like home-burned CDs.

During the show, in the last quarter-hour, one CD player started skipping during on song.  I interrupted, I played another song - hey, I have more than enough stuff for the rest of the show, I have birthdays & deathdays I don't get to.  But when I used the CD player again, it skipped again, with a different CD.

Okay.  This CD player - which worked fine for me the last two shows I did - in the same room! - was rejecting now my burned CDs.  I thought about doing a total John Peel & trying to do the show entirely from one player - I'd have to talk while I was changing out CDs.  But then!  The second CD player started skipping.  It was the end of the hour.  I decided not to suffer through an entire hour with the uncertainty of the CD players rejecting my CDs.

At WRFL, I would have had a backup - I bring stuff on a flash drive - but I don't know if I can play songs at LXU from the computer that has the automation on it.  So I just said "uncle."  I apologize for that.

Here's what the second hour would have looked like:

"Piccolo Pete (Parker Gibbs, vocals)" Ted Weems & His Orchestra _Marvellous!_ (ASV)
"Happy Days Are Here Again (vocals by The Rollickers)" Ben Selvin & His Orchestra _Sony Music 100 Years: Soundtrack For A Century_
"Don't Let The Rhythm Go To Your Head (Let The Rhythm Go To Your Feet) (Chu Berry, vocals)" Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra _Fletcher Henderson & His Orchestra_
"Waterworks" Kai Winding Sextet _Early Bones_
"Mountain Greenery" Barney Kessel _Music To Listen To Barney Kessel By_

Death commemorated here were Ted Weems, songwriter Milton Ager, saxophonist Franz Jackson, Kai Winding, & Barney Kessel.

"Lili Marlene" Marlene Dietrich _Marlene Dietrich_ (Habana)
Venus" Dickie Valentine _The Joe Meek Story, Vol. 5: The Early Years_
"I'll Be Home" Flamingos _The Complete Chess Masters_
"Daddy Rollin' Stone" Otis Blackwell _Chicken Shack Boogie, Vol. 3_
"Sweetback" Viola Wills _Sister Funk_

Death commemorated this set were Marlene Dietrich, Dickie Valentine, Paul Wilson of the Flamingos, Otis Blackwell, & Viola Wills.

"The Road Is So Long" Carey & Lurrie Bell _Second Nature_
"Can I Get A Witness" The Steampacket _The In Crowd: UK Mod R&B-Beat, 1964-1967_
"Blowin' In The Wind" Stevie Wonder _The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 6: 1966_
"Emma" Hot Chocolate _Super Hits Of The 70s: Have A Nice Day, Vol. 14_

Deaths commemorated here were Carey Bell, Mickey Waller of the Steampacket, Clarence Paul singing with Stevie Wonder, & Errol Brown of Hot Chocolate.

The last song I was going to play was in remembrance of one of my heroes, Grant McClennan, who died ten years ago, May 6, 2006.  I would've played "Cattle & Cane" by the Go-Betweens.

Next week I'm out of town but I don't know what I'm going to do in two weeks.  I have resisted bringing up a laptop - that has its own problems.  Right now I'm going to concentrate on the next Self Help Radio.  Otherwise I'm get frustrated all over again.

No comments: