Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Whither Bees?

(This image is from the Wikipedia bee page.)

This is a bit embarrassing - I am not entirely sure why I am doing a show about bees.  Sometimes someone will call the show & suggest a theme, & occasionally someone will email & ask for us to explore a theme, but more often than not, it's just some dumb observation I make that leads to a theme.  Although I am noticing some memory slippage as time goes by, & my drinking probably destroys more brain cells than television, I cannot for the life of me remember why I thought about doing a show about bees.

Don't get me wrong - they're super cool animals.  There are a bunch of songs about "the birds & the bees," the old euphemism parents once used to cover the embarrassment of talking to their children about human sexuality, but I avoided those songs for this show, since they're not really about bees themselves.  What those songs reminded me of was the sixth grade - when our science class covered actual birds & bees.  I remember my twelve-year-old self wondering if this was what was meant by "the birds & the bees."  Or if I should be digging deeper?

Look at that!  I can remember impressions I made when I was a child, but I can't think about what might have happened in the last few weeks that said to me, "Hey! Do a radio show about bees!"

Oh well.  All I know is that there are great songs, I have good, funny interviews, & best of all the show can't sting you!  Listen from 4-6pm on 88.1 fm in Lexington & you can listen online everywhere at the WRFL web site.

How different is this show from a show I did three years ago with the theme "buzz"
?  Oh no, I recognize two songs from that show I may play today!

No comments: