Sunday, September 26, 2021

Preface To Doors: A Reiteration Of Policy

(I don't know where I found this but it's brilliant.)

No one really calls & makes requests in Portland, so I haven't had to deal with this, but when I first started Self Help Radio, it was very common for someone to request something by a band that was named after a theme rather than a song.  For example, I once did a Halloween show about zombies, & someone would call & recommend the Zombies.  I would say, "Do they have any songs about zombies?"

There's no real reason for this - I dunno, would you call it a policy?  It just always felt a little like cheating to me.  So if a band matched the theme, I wouldn't play them unless they had a song that fit the theme, like every other band or musician on the show.

That's a somewhat long-winded way of saying, you probably won't hear any songs by the band The Doors unless they have a song that somehow involves doors.  Most bands don't really do that - it seems somewhat precious.  But don't put that sort of thing past Mr. Jim Morrison.

Actually, I was going to take a moment to sort of express how I feel about the Doors, but I know you don't care, so I'll just say my favorite Doors song is probably "Love Her Madly."  I just love the part when he sings "All your love is gone."  Gets me every time.

No comments: