Sunday, October 17, 2021

Preface To Radar: O'Reilly

(image from IMDb)

It's impossible to say the word "radar" in American culture without invoking two things - & I'll completely understand if this is not the case for millennials or later - one of these is the song "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, & the other is the character of Radar O'Reilly on M*A*S*H.

As a kid, I was inordinately fond of Radar.  You might never guess why.  I didn't possess his seeming telepathic gift to anticipate what someone wanted.  I wasn't very naïve though I was quite shy.  & I really wasn't a sheltered child.  My fondness for animals wouldn't really develop till later, when I was around more of them, though I did envy his menagerie.  None of these reasons were why I liked Radar.  The reason I liked him was kinda dumb: I knew his real name was Gary.

Gary Burghoff portrayed Radar O'Reilly & I knew this because I read credits.  When I was a kid, I was a voracious reader of everything including words on a TV screen & I loved to connect the actor to the name.  & here was someone on television with the same name as me.

& listen, then as now, Gary wasn't a popular name.  I have known only a handful of other Garys in my life.  When I was in elementary school, teachers & other kids were so unfamiliar with the name that I was often called "Greg."  It just made sense that I'd glom onto any other Gary out there.  It really did help that he was such a sweet character.  If other kids had wanted to call me "Radar," I wouldn't have minded.  But I had so few friends, I never even had a nickname.

There's one weird memory I have of the show.  On one touching episode, which must've aired when I was just seven or eight years old, Radar's family in - is it Iowa? - send him a film from home.  The main characters watch it, & Gary Burghoff dons a dress to play his own mother.  A child's mind works in weird ways, & mine was somewhat freaked out by the fact that Radar's mother looked so much like him.  I remember staring at my own mother, who was watching with me, & thinking, "When I get older, will I look like her?"

Yes, there'll be Radar O'Reilly content on the show tomorrow.  As well as "Radar Love."  How could there not be?  Sorry, millennials.

No comments: