Monday, October 18, 2021

Whither Radar?

(image from here.)

The normal way for me to think of a theme starts with coincidence.  I notice a particular theme recurs in the music I'm listening to.  My brain says, "That might be fun to do a radio show about."

Next I visit the list of themes I've explored on the Self Help Radio website.  Nine times out of ten I discover I've already covered that theme.  It's surprising what one forgets.  Sometimes I even forget to check if I've done the theme already.

There's another step I've recently added, which is this one: is the theme so general it would take me way too long to sort through all the songs that fit the theme?  It's why I don't do themes like "cars" or "rain" - I would have hundreds of songs to listen to, & I don't have the time for that.  A corollary to this step is the opposite: are there enough songs for the theme?  I recently rejected what would've been a fun theme because I found maybe ten songs that worked for it.  & I just didn't feel I could find many more.

Once I've decided on a theme, I start gathering songs.  When I feel I have a critical mass of songs, I schedule it (put it on the website) & I start thinking about the show.  Oftentimes, like this week, I have enough songs for a decent two-hour show & then I recall, "Oh shit! I have a three-hour show!"  In that case I do as I did yesterday, set aside some time to find other songs that fit the theme that I like.

It's a misconception that I play whatever songs I find for the theme as long as it fits the theme.  You may not like the stuff I play on the show but I only play music I like.  It's the truth!  It's easy to find enough songs to fit any theme if you just play all the songs that fit the theme.  But it's my show.  I'm gonna play the stuff I wanna listen to.

This week those songs are about radar.  & the show will happen tonight (!) from midnight to 3am on 90.7 fm KBOO Portland & online at the same time at kboo.fm.  & yep, I'll be live in the KBOO studios.

You won't need radar to find me tonight, although feel free to use radar all through the show!

No comments: