Sunday, November 07, 2021

Preface To Socks: Dick Wears Black Sox

(image from here)

This is true: I just wear black socks.  & there's really one kind of black socks I like, the ones linked above, by Dickies.  Officially they're Dickies' Non-Binding Crew Socks.  They feel like your average sock but are black.  Other black socks are usually for dress shows, & they're too thin.  Dickies black socks are just right.

This is the rare occasion where I have an opinion about what I wear.  I generally wear tee shirts & jeans or shorts (depending on the weather) & don't really pay otherwise much attention - as a woman at KOOP in Austin told me once, "You dress like a thirteen year old boy!"  But I prefer to wear black socks.

Why though?  I dunno.  When did I start doing that?  Probably in the 1990s at some point.  I was definitely a black sock fellow by the early 2000s when my nephew moved in with us.  He apparently started wearing black socks too, because one trip back to my hometown my sister - his mother - asked me, "What have you done to my son?"  Apparently somehow encouraging him to wear black socks (which I only could have done by example) was worse than all the drinking he & I did together.

It might seem I am mentioning this to endorse a product, but that would somehow mean I was enough of a "celebrity" to "endorse" anything.  I'm not.  If Dickies thought to send me some socks, however, I would not be averse to such a delightful gift.  Though I probably won't talk about socks again on Self Help Radio after this week's show.  So Dickies would have very little to gain indeed.

No comments: