Sunday, April 03, 2022

Preface To Drowning: What A Bleak Subject!

(no idea where I found this sorry)

Drowning is a gruesome thing, & a horrible way to die.  & lots of people drown to death - the World Health Organization says 236,000 people are lost in death related to drowning.  (Read all about it.)  Since humans have generally lived near water - & many of them throughout history have had to cross bodies of water regularly, sometimes on unsafe or shabbily made crafts - it's safe to say people have been dying by drowning for a long, long time.

But does that make it a suitable topic for a radio show?

Perhaps if I reassured you that drowning as a metaphor would make up the bulk of the song choices, would that help make the theme a bit more respectable?  After all, one can drown one's sorrows, or even drown out the bothersome noise around them.  Ray Charles famously sang he would drown in his own tears, & Joe Simon sang of drowning in a sea of love.  & it makes sense - in a world were drowning is so terrible, using drowning as a metaphor for how one is feeling can be quite powerful.

Besides, did you really think I'd get so lurid as to focus on death on this week's show?  To be fair, some of the songs will mention death, just as I have mentioned death in this discussion.  But we won't linger on it.  It won't be exploitative.  We're a not a true crime drama on the Netflicks or anything.

One confession: I haven't found a song that corresponds with a particular meaning I found on the Urban Dictionary:

Drowning, adjective:
You are beyond desperate & thirsty. You would hook up with anyone. It is not good to be drowning.
Jessica : hey Sally what are you looking at
Sally : ohh just the guy over their in the yellow
Jessica : umm I think he is ten. That is half our age not to mention the mud on his pants. Well I hope it's mud!
Sally : I don't care ima go and work my magic. Bye.
Jessica : your drowning

Because I would totally play that song.

No comments: