Monday, April 04, 2022

Whither Drowning?

(image from here.)

A long time ago, back in Austin, when I first started this show, someone at KOOP, which aired the show, came to me & asked about the show.  They said, "Your recent topics or themes seem very negative."  They had a touch of concern in their voice.

Now, I can't remember when this happened exactly - in the show's first year? or the second? I recall I did a show with the theme "broken" & a caller told me I had cursed her entire day with the show.  But I did wonder if I found "negative" subjects more interesting than whatever the opposite was.  Looking back, though, I see no clear pattern either way.

All of this is just to say I wonder what that volunteer would make of a show about drowning of all things.  & I'm not sure how I would explain exactly why the show today is about drowning, except that I came across a few songs recently that were about drowning - not in a physical sense, generally speaking.  & a cursory glance at my collection revealed I had a whole lot of songs involving drowning.  & that's usually how my shows take shape.

But I certainly hope this isn't triggering for anyone!  If so, please don't listen tonight from midnight to 3am on 90.7 fm in Portland or online at kboo.fm everywhere.  It does seem like a horrible way to go.

No comments: