Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Self Help Radio 072324: 1988 (Continued)

(All images from Discogs)

Here it is, another couple of hours of my favorite music from 1988. It may not surprise you I have another hour's worth of songs that I could've played. & maybe I'll play them! But probably not on Self Help Radio.

Of course I haven't started planning for the 1989 show but I do wonder if there is another year of music as important to me as 1988. As I have discussed here & on the show, the year changed a lot of what my life was like. I went from a lonely fellow who pined over girls to one starting a relationship that would last for a time. Though I read a lot, it was the music that informed my life. I would walk through the empty streets of Garland, Texas, in the dead of night in the summer of 1988, listening to music on a Walkman. It may be the way I still see myself thirty-six years later.

Which leads me to say: I should warn you that I reminisce a lot on the show. Maybe in the small chance you do listen you can zip past those parts.

Listen? But how? Either at the KBOO web site or at the Self Help Radio website. Should you choose to listen at the latter, make sure you have the username SHR & the password selfhelp handy. The KBOO file includes an hour of my favorite hip hop from 1988; it's a different show on the SHR website.

Back to the regular goofiness next week.

Self Help Radio 1988 (Continued) Show
"Ghosts Of American Astronauts" The Mekons _So Good It Hurts_
"When Harpo Played His Harp" Jonathan Richman _Modern Lovers 88_
"Turning Of The Tide" Richard Thompson _Amnesia_

"Turkish Song Of The Damned" The Pogues _If I Should Fall From Grace With God_
"Chant Of The Paladin" Dead Can Dance _The Serpent's Egg_
"King Of Soul" The Wolfgang Press _Bird Wood Cage_
"Peek-A-Boo" Siouxsie & The Banshees _Peepshow_

"Why Do You Have To Go Out With Him When You Could Go Out With Me" The Brilliant Corners _Why Do You Have To Go Out With Him When You Could Go Out With Me_
"Shimmer" The Flatmates _Shimmer_
"I'm In Love With A Girl Who Doesn't Know I Exist" Another Sunny Day _I'm In Love With A Girl Who Doesn't Know I Exist_
"Sunshine Thuggery" The Siddeleys _Sunshine Thuggery_
"Looking For Lot 49" The Jazz Butcher _Fishcotheque_

"Don't Let Our Youth Go To Waste" Galaxie 500 _Today_
"You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" Kirsty MacColl _You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby_
"It's Only Life" The Feelies _Only Life_
"You Will Be Loved Again" Mary Margaret O'Hara _Miss America_

"Charlotte Anne" Julian Cope _My Nation Underground_
"Martha's Harbour" All About Eve _All About Eve_
"The Camera Loves Me" Would-Be-Goods _The Camera Loves Me_
"Balloon Man" Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians _Globe Of Frogs_

"Indian Summer" Beat Happening _Jamboree_
"Burst" The Darling Buds _Burst_
"Bitter End" Felt _The Pictorial Jackson Review_
"Surfaround" The Fizzbombs _The Surfin' Winter EP_
"Christine" The House Of Love _The House Of Love_

"She Paints" Biff Bang Pow! _Love Is Forever_
"The Train" The Nits _Hat_
"Return To Yesterday" The Lilac Time _The Lilac Time_

No comments: