Monday, August 26, 2024

Whither Indiepop A To Z # 75?

Bluto is a twee kitty.

Tonight on Self Help Radio on KBOO is the seventy-fifth (!) installment of the Indiepop A To Z series. I started the series over two decades ago & it probably should've ended many years ago. After having a couple of the episodes on another show on KBOO, that show's programmer said to me, "Will this never end?" We're in the letter S. You make that call.

When I started this, 1982 was twenty years away. Many of the great indiepop bands had only recently existed. There still seemed to be lots of indiepop compilations. Since the rise of the mp3, & Bandcamp, many indiepop bands exist in smaller markets, & compete with so many other niche genres. Not to mention that the name itself - "indiepop" - is more like to be used to describe a band that sounds more like something commercial instead of a band featuring Amelia Fletcher. If ever finish this, what will that music world look like?

These are thoughts I had while listening to music for this week's show. I wonder about the future of indiepop. But I know I'll keep doing this until I'm not doing radio anymore - or until there's no such thing as radio. Luckily that's not the case!

Self Help Radio 12-2am tonight 90.7fm in Portland kboo.fm everywhere.

No comments: