Monday, February 12, 2007

Crushing On Haikus & Wrapping Them Up

Like one of those people who keep the photo that came with the wallet, I always want to fill in blanks with the suggestions next to the blanks. For example, in the blogger window where I type, there's an option to "label" a post. The choices it gives you are: scooters, vacation, fall. I want so badly to put those labels on every post I write. Strooth.

Everyone was in the Valentine's spirit & was totally loving on me Friday, but there are only four haiku winners per show, & those winners are below, from fourth place to first:

FOURTH PLACE: Marcia

She knows it’s bad taste
To reveal you have a crush
In a bad haiku

THIRD PLACE: Jon

Too, too ecstatic
Heart & art, a crush on you,
Schoolboy to schoolgirl

SECOND PLACE: David

Am too old to crush
What love from gay youth remains
You can’t crush from me

FIRST PLACE: Kate

Tripped up, flattened, love
Head over heels over head
Crushed by your crushing

The Mystery Limericker continued to produce limericks for the show. Here's the one he sent for a show about Crushes:

There once was a stinky old lush
Whose drinking had made his face blush
“But it ain’t alcohol,”
He’d explain with a drawl,
“On cheap wine I have a big crush!”

He'll have a chance to continue to explore an alcoholical theme, because this week's show will be about gin. Bitter, dry gin. Gives you one hell of a hangover gin. Delicious when mixed with fruity or sweet drinks gin. Gin. You should write a haiku about this libation. Or perhaps you can send me a request for a song about gin. Or, if you're in a band, you could write a song about gin & I'll play it on the show! So many ways to be involved. We'll need lots of crushed ice.

This "Song Of The Day" has nothing to do with gin, except perhaps that it goes well with it. It's from a so-so remix collection from last year called Future Retro 80's: Alternative Classics Remixed & it contains a Sparks remix of a Morrissey song from his first solo record. This is one of my favorite kinds of remix - one that simply chops up the song & repeats its parts while adding a beat. It's like a musical dissection. So, without any further ado, here's Suedehead (The Sparks Remix). Click on it to hear all six & a half minutes of its glory. I'll leave it here till February 26.

Tomorrow: I drink a lot of gin & then write a short story for you.

No comments: