Friday, February 12, 2010

Into A World Of Snow!

Didya see how much snow dry, arid Dallas got this week? That's awesome! Over twelve inches! I can't find stats online for the Huntington area, but I'm sure we've had more than twelve inches this winter... Just not all at the same time.

Also, the snow in Dallas will probably melt quickly. Here it stays - & hardens - & becomes evil snow which goes by the name "black ice" - & brother I hear that's a killer.

I don't think that's what I wanted to talk about - it's actually kind of important I remember this date.* I have several siblings, most of whom have reproduced, & therefore I am possibly called "uncle" by (let me count) at least eight people (or, at the very least, there are at least eight people to whom I would respond if I were called "uncle"). However, today, through no action of any member of my blood-related family, I became an uncle again. This may sound ridiculous, but unlike other relations by marriage, which are usually designated by the suffixed phrase "in law" (ie, "brother-in-law," "mother-in-law"), you're not called an "uncle-in-law," you're just an uncle. I think I'd prefer being an uncle-in-law just so the kid knows we're not related. & chances are, she'll be pretty amazing, so actually "uncle-in-law" will enable her to distance herself from me when I'm a crazy old coot & she's a world famous something-or-other. "Ignore him," she'll tell her handlers, "he's just my uncle-in-law."

It's actually pretty easy to remember - this is both Abraham Lincoln's & Charles Darwin's birthday. But I have a feeling this little girl won't be intimidated by such luminaries - she'll be fine. Even if the planet's dying. But don't tell her parents that!

Welcome to the world, little Zizu. If I misspelled your name, & you're googling this years later, let me just say that your Ciocia Magda told me that's how it's spelled & you already know she can't spell to save her life - or her career. Happy birthday from your new uncle-in-law!

*At least until this person gets a Facebook account that will remind me it's her birthday.

No comments: