Monday, August 16, 2010

Preface To Beds: Queen Sized Or King Sized?

The bed I brought to Austin with me was basically a kind of army cot, with a thin foam mattress, on a green metal frame. I don't remember if I made the bed every morning before I went to class. Probably. I was pretending to be grown up.

The bed I had in my post-college days was a decent-sized mattress I kept on the floor. I pretty much only gave that up once I started shacking up with the woman I would marry. Although I do believe I did have a box spring under the mattress. I used to keep that bed in my living room, & used the bedroom for storage.

Here's a list of all the types of bed sizes possible (I suppose): Twin, Single, Double, Full, Queen, King, California King, Western King, Eastern King. California King? Why not just call it the Schwartzenegger?

The woman I married takes beds very, very seriously. I don't think I would mind, even in my advanced years, sleeping on a mattress on the floor. For one thing, it removes a potential hiding place for cats. Cats love to hide. They love to hide under beds. I know, it's cruel, to not give cats their hiding places, but I have spent precious hours looking for cats who spitefully did not want to be found. Sometimes, you know, to give them medicine.

I didn't ask how much the current bed I sleep in costs. I didn't pay for it. I also don't know what size it is. It's big enough to comfortably sleep two humans, three dogs, & three cats. If they don't hog the bed. Which they do. & who gets to sleep on a small sliver of bed, nearly falling off, at the edge? You guessed it.

That wouldn't happen with a mattress on the floor!

No comments: