Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Joke A Day A Week, Episode Fourteen

The laughs fail to continue!

Okay, one joke made me smile this week. It was this one:

A man walks into the psychiatrist's office with a zucchini up his nose, a cucumber in his left ear, & a breadstick in his right ear. He says, "What is wrong with me?" The psychiatrist replies, "You are not eating properly."

I'm sure it was old the first time Henny Youngman told it, though.

One "joke" puzzled me this week. It was this one:

Frank was madly in love with Susan, but couldn't get up enough courage to pop the question face to face. Finally he decided to ask her on the telephone. "Darling! He blurted out, "Will you marry me?"
"Of course, I will, you silly boy," she replied, "Who's speaking?"


Perhaps you understand why it's funny. I don't know if it's supposed to be absurd, or if we're supposed to laugh at the poor lovesick man's predicament, or if it's hilarious that the woman appears to be desperate & promiscuous. None of those things actually make it funny, but perhaps whoever approves the "jokes" for the A Joke A Day mailing list thought it looked like a joke, so he/she/it sent it along.

This "joke" was utterly ruined by an uncaught spelling mistake:

A teacher asked students to bring old staff, 1 kid came with his grandpa.

That's the risk when you text in a joke!

No comments: