Friday, May 17, 2013

Whither Caesar?

I have a fascination with Romans.  The historical Romans, not the British people who play Romans in movies, which always freaked me out, because didn't the Romans conquer the Britons & the Celts?

Where was I?  Oh yes, today's radio show.

I remember, I had to memorize, in tenth grade, three of the speeches in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, none of which I've retained.  Everyone in the class has to memorize the "cowards die a thousand times before their death" speech, as well as Anthony's "Friends, Romans, countrymen" speech & his words about Brutus at his death - "This was the noblest Roman of them all!"  We had to go to Mrs. Phillips' room at a time - after school? - when it was just her & you, the two of you, & do all three in succession.    (I remember people waiting outside, perhaps listening to me.)  Even though it was just me with her, I was very nervous, & even though I breezed through the first two, my knees began to tremble as I got to the last one.  I honestly thought I might void my bowels, I was so nervous.

Mrs. Phillips - who was a nice woman, who also taught German, & especially taught some of my older siblings - told me, "I really liked how emotional you got at the end there!"

My fear would never again help me in such a way.

Meanwhile, today's show is all about Caesar - & it's on 88.1 fm in Lexington, & online at wrfl.fm.  From four to six pm EST.  If you're in a Roman mood.

No comments: