Monday, March 09, 2015

Twin Obsessions

In-between the listening & searching that is required for my dumb radio show, as well as my daily listen to new stuff I've acquired, I've spent the past couple or three days returning to two particular artists.  In no particular order.

I've been listening to the Mountain Goats a lot recently.  It started last week when, tasked with shoveling snow, I grabbed my iPod & it was the first band, on random, that I heard.  I stopped the random nonsense & listened to The Sunset Tree & Transcendental Youth in their entirety.  (There was a lot of damn snow.)  Today I prepared dinner while listening to Get Lonely, which is sparse, unsparing record, not as bleak as The Sunset Tree, but still dark.  Dark.



The other is Momus' new album, Turpsycore.  Well, a third of Momus' new album.  It's three discs, one of Momus originals, one of covers of Howard DeVoto/Magazine covers, & one of Bowie covers.  I have found I can't yet get beyond the Bowie covers.  They're so brilliant.  They feel right.



Marc Bolan, in a T.Rex song, once sang, "Deep in my heart, there's a room that can hold just about all of you."  Sometimes I'm amazed at how much music I hold in my heart.  I'm a hoarder in that sense.

No comments: