Sunday, November 15, 2015

I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris

Paris.  Sometimes people who write these blogs get the sense that they have to comment on things that are happening around them, but, if you're even glanced at this blog, you'll know I don't feel that responsibility at all.  In fact, today someone was playing songs about Paris on RFL, & I thought myself somewhat callous for not doing a show about Paris this week.

The truth is, I have nothing to say that could possibly help the people of that great city, nor offer consolation to anyone who values our way of life, where tolerance & inclusion are celebrated.  Someone more eloquent than I pointed out that the people who were targeted, the people who died, they were out on a Friday night having a good time: eating, seeing shows, listening to music, socializing, living.  I'm not sure I know how to respond to an enemy who find such things not simply distasteful or abhorrent, but worthy of homicide.

Maybe at some point I'll attempt a show about dear Paris.  I loved the city when I visited & hope I can visit again some day.  The people there are strong, & will recover, & will find their way.  The secular European social democracies may just be a greater experiment than the American one, so hard-fought & hard-won are their principles.

One other thing: I've turned off & ignored the outrage from those who wish to politicize the event & those who enjoy being outraged for the sake of outrage.  It does one no good to get down into some ideological pit with people incapable of seeing the world other than the white to everyone else's black.  Honestly, those folks deserve only pity, & to remain unheard.

My favorite response was from a Charlie Hebdo cartoonist, who wrote a cartoon about the attacks, which you can read (translated) here.  I choked up with this one, which I believe with all my heart:


It says, "They never succeed."  & they won't, if we don't let them.

No comments: