Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Whither In One's Head?

(I found this image here.)

Back in the day, at KOOP in Austin, & I've probably told this story before, but maybe after all this time I'll have remembered different details or, worse yet, added some details in the telling, like you do, but I had one particular listener who really, really, really wanted me to do broad themes, like "cars" or "colors" or "birds."  Usually, it's because he had a lot of suggestions, but mainly because he was getting a little tired of some of my more - I don't know, shall we call them, conceptual? - themes.

The show that I think irked him somewhat, & set the precedent maybe for later shows that relied on phrases rather than nouns, was the one with the theme Here I/You/He/She/It/We/They Come.  In fact, when I wrote about it here on the blog eleven years ago, I think I was talking (in my head) directly to him:

Self Help Radio is not shackled nor trapped by the conventions of other radio shows that require their "themes" to be solid things, like the intestines or pellets or clubhouses or cheese. We attempt to expand the very idea of ideas. Everything can be a theme, especially those things that are least thematic. So we can have a phrase as a theme. Why not? It's not like there's a body out there that can tell me what I can & can't play on the radio.

Things would get much worse with the show's themes, of course, or perhaps it can't get much worse than "in one's head."  You know, songs in which what is in your head, in my head, in his head, in her head, etc. is discussed.  Is that a good theme?  We'll see, won't we?

The show is on tonight on 93.9 fm WLXU in Lexington & online on their website from 9-11pm eastern.  I just wanted to put that in your head.  Hope it stay in there!

No comments: