Saturday, January 04, 2020

Preface To Iron: Television Shows About Places Where You Used To Live

Though I should be working on this week's Self Help Radio, I got sucked into a Louis Theroux documentary the wife was watching.  It's about the heroin crisis in Huntington, West Virginia.  It's a difficult watch, & I don't enjoy seeing people sticking needles in their veins, so I had to turn away a couple of times, or else I might have fainted.  I get very light-headed watching that shiz.

The reason I stuck around to watch it was because it was in Huntington, a town I lived in for about a year & a month, from July 2009 to August 2010.  & I confess I saw very little drug use while I was there.

My life was small, though.  I volunteered at the Marshall radio station WMUL & did little else.  Mainly I hung out with my dogs & cats.  We got to be best friends, then.  I wasn't home a lot in Austin.

The wife hated it in Huntington so much that pretty much every weekend - unless the weather was bad - we went elsewhere, to Lexington, to Athens (Ohio), to Columbus, to Cincinnati, to Charleston.  We spent a great deal of time in a car - most places weren't on a major highway, so they took a while to get to.

After we left in the summer of 2009, I always meant to go back.  I felt like I drove around a lot - I would go shopping at Kroger at night, & try to drive home different routes, try to take in the city when it was asleep or at least falling asleep.  It simply wasn't that large.  I would walk occasionally to Marshall when I volunteered, & would walk by old old houses that were empty & falling apart.  I always wished that I had some ability to make a difference in the city, but I just didn't.

For example: WMUL didn't have many student deejays, & operated mostly on automation.  At the beginning of the semester, they'd have one meeting, & sign up lots of students, but as the semester wore on, students would simply stop coming to their shows.  The core volunteers were mainly interested in sports - the station was a kind of training ground for people who wanted to call sports professionally.  I only met a couple of indie kids there.

The Station Manager would listen patiently to my ideas on how to increase participation, & then shoot them down with an anecdote (usually something that happened a while back, which he himself didn't actually take part in) about how it had been done & didn't work.  I was usually crestfallen after such conversations.  I didn't want to try anything without his backing - & at the end of my short tenure there, I attempted to help out on a live music show, & did a good deal of work, including arranging for the station to partner with another department that videotaped local bands, the Station Manager told me he didn't think it would work out - you know, because something similar had been tried before & failed.

What I wanted to do was try to invite more non-students to deejay, but of course the station used to do that & those people got mad when students were given preferential time slots.  I suggested that perhaps you make it clear to the non-students - like me - that that's the case, but no, it was just not a good idea.

Looking back on the blog, I found this post where I announced my leaving WMUL - but I don't think I ever explained there - or anywhere - why I left.  I didn't know we would be leaving Huntington when I quit WMUL - it was the middle of June - & my wife was about to spend a month in Madagascar, so I was going to be quite lonely & isolated.  I was just tired of beating my head against a wall of indifference.  I wanted to help, & I was able to do some things, but the station didn't really have listeners - it didn't stream its music shows online, for example, because it didn't want to pay the licensing fees - & like I said, there weren't a lot of programmers.  I already did my shows mostly alone, at night.  I would go to the school's Department of Public Safety & get a key, let myself in, turn the automation off & do a show, then turn it back on & leave.  It was plenty lonely already.

Anyway, I watched the documentary to see if I could find anything of the Huntington I had lived in, & I really couldn't.  I didn't see any familiar places, & I didn't say things like, "Oh yeah!  I've been there!"  Honestly, though, my world was, as I've said, very small.

One thing I did hope to see what a Chinese restaurant that I ate at too often which is where I first had bean curd home style.  I checked Google Maps to find that it's still there, & was surprised it looked like this:


It had more than one story!  I didn't recall that.  It seems so unassuming.

There was a similar favorite place in Fort Worth that we went to at least once a week.  I always wonder if they make any note of our disappearance.

In 2002 I had back surgery & discovered I didn't enjoy vicodin.  So I suppose I wouldn't enjoy heroin either.  The documentary says 1 in 4 people in Huntington struggle with addiction to opiates.  It seems I was either there before the crisis got super ugly or I mainly interacted with the other 75%.

No comments: