Sunday, January 31, 2021

Preface To Glow: Idioms With Glow


Above is an actual entry at the idiom page of the Free Dictionary for the word "glow."  What the hell?  Why use the name Gary here?  Don't they know it's dying out?

It's been a while since I've talked about idioms on the show, which is a shame.  It's one of the most favorite things I do.  Alas, I don't think I'll have time to do it on Tuesday morning.  So I thought I'd share some here, in anticipation of the show about "glow."  These are from that page linked above.  Also linked there!

Besides "glow worm," noted above, there are two other uses of the word "glow" in relation to intoxication:

a glow: A mild alcohol or drug-induced high.
I don't want to get drunk tonight, I just want a nice glow.

have (got) a glow on: slang To become drunk.
Did he really have a glow on at the bar last night? Is that why he was acting so weird?

How long has it been since anyone has used glow in this way?  I believe it's been decades.

Here's another awkward use of the word "glow": glow up
1. verb To transform oneself in a significant way. The phrase can be applied to positive changes in one's appearance, but usually focuses more on one's successes in life & increased self-confidence. Modeled on the phrase "grow up."
I feel like I really glowed up this year because I started a great new job, ended a toxic relationship, & became comfortable with being single.
2. noun A significant self-transformation. The phrase can be applied to positive changes in one's appearance, but usually focuses more on one's successes in life & increased self-confidence. (Oooo. Déjà vu!)
I feel like I really had a glow up this year because I started a great new job, ended a toxic relationship, and became comfortable with being single.

Like the use of glow meaning drunk, this particular idiom hasn't been used in ages, if it ever was.  The folks who work in the idiom section of the lexicographer's office are awful lonely, & to pass the time, they add things to web sites like this in the hopes someone will find them & at the very least come to see them.

This is one of the those idioms that seems self-explanatory but I have spoken English nearly my entire life, so I can't imagine not figuring this out from context:

glow with (something)
1. To emanate light, typically due to the presence of heat.
The logs in the fireplace glowed with a soft light.
2. To show a particular emotion in one's facial expression.
The bride & groom have just been glowing with joy all day long.

By extension of the second definition, you get the following:

bask in the glow of approval (from someone)
To revel in the approval that has been shown to one by others.
She's still basking in the glow of approval from the critics who came to the play's opening night.
The boss had a lot of praise for my pitch today. I'm still basking in the glow of approval!

feel a glow of contentment
To feel delighted & satisfied.
The newlyweds are so cute—they really seem to be feeling a glow of contentment.

& finally, a related pair - so related, the person who wrote this page used the same sample sentences (!) rather than think of different ones.

in glowing colors
In a very complimentary, positive, or favorable manner.
You must have really impressed your teachers because they speak about you in very glowing colors.
That reviewer talked about the film in glowing colors, so I kind of want to see it now.

in glowing terms
In a very complimentary, positive, or favorable manner.
You must have really impressed your teachers because they speak about you in very glowing terms.
That reviewer talked about the film in glowing terms, so I kind of want to see it now.

Lazy.

Those are some glow idioms.  It would have been a nice way to pass a late-in-the-show airbreak.  Instead, it's a hopefully tolerable way to pass a pre-show blog entry.

No comments: