Saturday, January 09, 2021

Wait. It's January?

Might I make an observation about January that might seem trite to most people.  Yes?

Okay.  Here it is.  January might not feel the same to everyone.

& yes, you might point out the lack of authority in that statement.  More confident folk (who I find are mostly wrong) would have avoided the "might."  They would assert & would do so shamelessly.  They are generally insecure people who feel the need to speak in absolutes.  Perhaps they find succor in dogma.  In any event, it's uncomfortable for them to qualify a statement without making it somehow universal.  I can't speak for anyone but me, but I find that a bit sad.  Though surely they have a quote from someone of their ilk to punctuate their feelings.

When I lived in Lexington, January meant at least one snowfall & perhaps some very cold days.  One winter it got down to single digits.  That was quite unpleasant.

In Fort Worth, there were days of some cold, possibly even days where the temperature reached freezing.  But except for the scare of ice - ice on the road terrified even the most road-weary Texas driver - it never seemed like winter would inconvenience the average denizen of the Metroplex.

Yet I weigh roughly six years in snowland vs three years in Texas plains & I say: what happened to January?

It has been cold here.  Not too cold - maybe the mid-40s.  & it has rained here.  It's Portland man.  But snow?  Bitter cold?  That hasn't happened.  It's weird, right?

Or is it?  No one I've spoken to thinks so.  They think it might snow in March.  March!

This fucking West Coast.

By the way, I'm told it's less cold on the coast.  Just get to the Pacific, it's warmer & there's less rain.  What the actual fuck?

No comments: